The TDN Digest is a daily update of the important stories, announcements, and conversations about Newark from around the web. Find out more »
Results are in: you love the Digest. Traffic is up 25% and we’ve received really great feedback, so we’ve expanded the format to include press releases and we’ll be adding sponsorship opportunities and images from around the city.
There’s no school like the old school.. What’s old is new again: we brought back the original design of the site. After a brief stint with a theme that, well, was more trouble then it was worth, we brought back the classic design.
We’ve got some great new features queued up to deliver for the next few weeks, and we’ll keep you posted! As always, thanks for reading TDN.
The kerfuffle between Cory and Conan has driven a fair amount of news coverage this week, with some contending that Cory drew negative attention to the city while others seem to think that the dustup was planned to result in Booker’s appearance on the show. I should have some inside baseball on that in a few days, but what do you think? Is the Mayor creating an opportunity to get Newark some positive press by going on Conan? Or is he cynically driving attention to his own skills as a media mogul? Leave a comment at TDN.
Articles, reports and news items from major news agencies such as the New York Times, the Star Ledger, and ABC 7 News
- Newark mayor rebuffs Codey, throws support to Sweeney for Senate presidency
- Booker backs Codey for Senate President, along with 13 other Essex Dem mayors
- Newark native in running to be first black female speaker – The Star-Ledger – NJ.com
- Woman loses relocation fight – 7Online.com
- Newark Through City Murals puts art in public spaces – Video | NJ.com: The Star-Ledger Videos – NJ.com
- Newark Mayor Cory Booker bans Conan O’Brien from N.J.
- Newark’s NJPAC surpasses $180M fundraising goal
- Dead whale is removed from Newark shipping channel
- Conan O’Brien, The Scourge of New Jersey – E! Online
- amiri baraka turns 75 – The Star-Ledger – NJ.com
Opinion, thoughts and experiences from blogs around the web
- Its Official: NJ to receive nearly $533M in education money from feds
- Under Abbott, NJ had success in closing the achievement gap
- Poet Amiri Baraka reads a poem at Skippers
- On Banners and Block Parties
- Cory Booker “Extends” Conan Ban to All of NJ
- Booker puts Conan on Newark Airport’s “No Fly List” and Conan responds in kind
Announcements, and marketing material published by organizations around and in the city
- City of Newark Celebrates Hispanic Heritage Month With Second Annual “Festival De La Familia Latina” On Bloomfield Avenue, Sunday, October 4
- Newark Offers Free Seasonal Flu Shots for City Residents at Sites Across City, Now to October 16
- City of Newark Hosts Seventh Annual “Gateway to a Cleaner Newark Citywide Cleanup” Day
Twitter updates from city residents and newsmakers alike
MsNAB I've found that most people who perpetuate negativity about Nwk have never been here or were here just post riot.</blockquote><p style="margin: -1em 0pt 1em;text-align: right"><cite><a href="http://twitter.com/CoryBooker/statuses/4552523541">—CoryBooker
“The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That’s real glory. That’s the essence of it.” Vince Lombardi
corybooker AWESOME! Bring it on Conan. NJ is ready,....</blockquote><p style="margin: -1em 0pt 1em;text-align: right"><cite><a href="http://twitter.com/cagirl80/statuses/4532727804">—cagirl80
NEW VIDEO: Conan, it’s on!! = http://bit.ly/4lovzI – Ban extended to all of NJ.
Busy day. Tapings, editting, pitching, Conan, pitching, writing..can’t stop won’t stop..
getting ready to put the Newark Pride Alliance on the map.
corybooker you should "educate" Conan about Newark by making him tape the Tonight Show hereSymphony Hall.
dailynewarker Junior Achievement of NJ's financial literacy & economic education prog's impacted 6556 Newark NJ youth in 07-08 http://www.janj.org</blockquote><p style="margin: -1em 0pt 1em;text-align: right"><cite><a href="http://twitter.com/JAofNJ/statuses/4528038574">—JAofNJ
dailynewarker Yeah, but then there are all those very obvious slights that Conan is throwing in. I mean it really is kinda mean of him.</blockquote><p style="margin: -1em 0pt 1em;text-align: right"><cite><a href="http://twitter.com/ethigent/statuses/4527987927">—ethigent
ethigent No way. I wouldn't go so far as to say they're talking on a back channel (just yet), but it's all in good fun.</blockquote><p style="margin: -1em 0pt 1em;text-align: right"><cite><a href="http://twitter.com/dailynewarker/statuses/4527952281">—dailynewarker
dailynewarker crazy that you can "offend" a city. it was a decent joke. sad state of affairs when youre not allowed to poke fun at cities.</blockquote><p style="margin: -1em 0pt 1em;text-align: right"><cite><a href="http://twitter.com/bicyclemark/statuses/4527820223">—bicyclemark
The Digest is a free service brought to you by the Daily Newarker. To support the work of this blog, click one of the Google ads at the bottom of this post. As always, thanks for reading the Daily Newarker.