The TDN Digest is a daily update of the important stories, announcements, and conversations about Newark from around the web. Find out more »
If you have comments, questions or opinions about the TDN Digest, we want to hear from you! Leave a comment, drop an email, or take the online poll (thanks to everyone who has already reached out!).
This week’s Digest is brought to you by our sponsors:
- Dog trouble? You can do better than watching reruns of the Dog Whisperer: Newark-based, CPDT-certified dog trainer Sarah can help you develop a better relationship with your dog using proven, effective, and positive methods. From puppy consults to problem behavior modification: more info at sidebysidetraining.com.
Interested in sponsorship opportunities and reaching some of the most influential and passionate supporters of the city? Advertise with TDN: find out more, place an order or call with questions: (862) 235-0836.
Articles, reports and news items from major news agencies such as the New York Times, the Star Ledger, and ABC 7 News
- A Stalled Vision: Big Development as City’s Future [NYT on NYC’s Urban Development Planning —ed.]
- Newark council president Mildred Crump secures tickets to NJ Devils game for Newark students
- Threat of gang initiation puts a damper on Halloween
- Autism Expert joins The North Ward Center
- Single-payer healthcare advocates arrested in Newark protesting insurance companies
- Newark program trains welfare recipients for ShopRite jobs
- Newark, NJ, civilians cruising against crime – The Associated Press
Opinion, thoughts and experiences from blogs around the web
- LGBTQ Advisory Commission
- Film to examine fight for equality in health care
- Open Doors: Part I
- NJEA convention: Put students first and move annual teachers convention to summer
- Want to rally with President Obama?
- Have you thought about getting involved with the Garden State Rollergirls?
- Halloween Bicycle Scavenger Hunt
- Bloomberg, Thompson Make Final Pitches In Last Mayoral Debate – Gothamist
- Star-Ledger video
Announcements, and marketing material published by organizations around and in the city
- Newark Swears in First-Ever Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, and Questioning Commission at Municipal Council Chamber Ceremony
- City of Newark Municipal Court Will Be Closed on Monday, November 2, Due to Third Mandatory Furlough Day
- All Newark Health and Vital Statistics Services Except Child Care Food Program Will Close on Monday, November 2, Due to Third Furlough Day
- City of Newark Reminds Residents That City Offices and All City Services Except Police and Fire Will Be Closed on Furlough Day on Monday, November 2
Twitter updates from city residents and newsmakers alike
“Success is the ability to go from failure to failure without losing your enthusiasm.” – Winston Churchill
followin Nwk’s 2 newest charter schools:
NewarkEducators (opened this year k-3)&NewarkLegacy (opening next year k-1)both going up to 8th.
has the best students!! Was extremely proud of my young men who showed up at the screening tonight—best of the bricks🙂
Want to join a local, organic veggie co-op? Deliveries 2x/mo, $49/ea, pickup near Penn Station. Try a free share tomorrow. DM for details!
2) new cameras to street corners. it’s not working. crimes are still high. 3) cameras are an invasion of privacy
point/counterpoint: downtown newark looks prettier. i see more security cameras in the city, it makes me feel safe.
Too many years of neglect led to the bad reputation this city received. I love it I love this city.
favorite survey responses: [i see] A lot of reconstruction & beautification of the city. This is excellent and just what the city needed.
Autism Expert joins The North Ward Center http://bit.ly/145XYK
“The true measure of an individual is how he treats a person who can do him absolutely no good.” Ann Landers
The Digest is a free service brought to you by the Daily Newarker. To support the work of this blog, click one of the Google ads at the bottom of this post. As always, thanks for reading the Daily Newarker.