Fox News: NJ Transit Fare Increase, Service Cuts
NJ Transit officials say they plan a 25 percent fare increase and service cuts to help close a $300 million budget gap. The changes would take effect May 1. … Some examples of price changes include:
- A one-zone local bus trip or one-way ticket on Newark or River Line light rail would increase from $1.35 to $1.70 per ride.
- One-way commuter rail tickets would rise to $1.50-$16.50. A trip from Metropark in Iselin, NJ to New York Penn Station would rise to $10.
- Hudson-Bergen Light Rail tickets would increase from $1.90 to $2.40 per trip.
- Off-peak roundtrip discounts would be eliminated
- 10-trip bus discounts would be capped at 15% off the full fare price