With the municipal elections looming large next month, we’ll be making an effort to interview the prospective city council candidates.
This week, I’m pleased to present this podcast interview with Peter Pantoliano, candidate for the East Ward council seat.
Mr. Pantoliano has been a leader in the Ironbound community for years. He is currently serving as a representative for the 19th district in the city of Newark. He’s a prominent local business owner in the neighborhood, having started his first optometry office on Ferry Street nearly 30 years ago, and having moved to the East Ward about 10 years ago.
While considered by political prognosticators as the underdog in his race against the established three-term incumbent, Augusto Amador, Mr. Pantoliano’s grass-roots zeal and belief in the people of the Ironbound is palpable.
The podcast is about 30 minutes in length. Click the play button below to listen.
In the podcast, we discuss:
- How Mr. Pantoliano came to live and work in the Ironbound and how he came to be interested in Newark politics
- Plans for the upcoming election and his campaign kickoff
- The major challenges and opportunities the Councilman sees facing the East Ward right now
- What platforms Mr. Pantoliano has chosen to make the core message of his campaign (taxes, public safety, and healthcare)
- What assets and experiences the challenger brings to the table for improving the Ironbound
- How the recent economic challenges might affect the neighborhood and what opportunities Mr. Pantoliano sees to address them
- How technology can position residents for the 21st century workforce